Reggio Emilia is a city in northern Italy, in the Emilia-Romagna region. It has about 171,944 inhabitants and is the main comune (municipality) of the Province of Reggio Emilia.
The old town has a hexagonal form, which derives from the ancient walls, and the main buildings are from the 16th-17th centuries. The commune territory is totally on a plain, crossed by the Crostolo stream.
The official twinning agreement was signed on April 20, 1989, in the city of Chisinau, by Mr. Giulio Fantuzzi, General Mayor of the city of Reggio Emilia and Mr. Ion Guţu, Chairman of the Chisinau Executive Committee. One of the main objectives of this twinning is the exchange of experience and knowledge in the field of education, education and culture.
Twinning relationships are built on joint activities and collaborative projects. Among them we can mention:
- - Exchanges of experience and mutual visits of the delegations from Chisinau and Reggio Emilia in the social, economic, cultural and local public administration fields;
- - Starting 2001, the young sportsmen from Chisinau participated in the International Sport Games of Tricolore, organized constantly in the city of Reggio Emilia, winning gold and silver medals at different sports competitions;
- - Assistance in the elaboration of the project "Facilitating investments and remittances made by Moldovan citizens working abroad in the country of origin" within the Migration4Development program, initiated by the European Commission. Actions: carrying out translation in / from Italian, working with the City Hall of Reggio Emilia, Italy, with the Moldovan Association of Reggio Emilia, with the Moldo-Italian Chamber of Commerce;
- - Artistic groups of children from Reggio Emilia participated in the International Festival of popular dances for children, as well as in the International competition "Open Chisinau - 2002";
- - Joint activities were organized in the field of education and youth, with the involvement of the General Department for Education, Youth and Sports;
- - Throughout the collaboration period, letters of invitation to various events and letters of congratulation on various occasions were addressed.